Popular Posts

Friday 15 February 2013

Of frozen peas and antibiotics

I currently have an abscess. A few days ago, before I got treatment, it was very painful. Now it's not painful so much as darn irritating.

What is an abscess?

Well an abscess is a disgusting sac of pus, essentially, inside my gum above the roots of my teeth. Understandably, my mouth is very disgruntled and annoyed about it being there, so has decided to swell up a huge amount. In the past few days I have been compared to a neanderthal, 'smacked in the face with a frying pan' (I have charming parents), a monkey (thank you Curtis) and more recently, as the swelling has moved to more around my cheeks, a hamster. I am currently on antibiotics and it is helping, but still, I do not really resemble me much. I'm also holding frozen peas to my face for the majority of the day (at the risk of chilblains  according to our Doctor friend Bernhard, but I'll be fine. Probably) The swelling isn't painful anymore though, it's just darn irritating, and is solid as a rock on my upper lip - and I'm doing that typical thing of pressing it whilst thinking "Will it get better if I squash it" when in reality I'm probably worsening the problem.

I should probably explain how this has happened really. I have 6 fillings. One of those fillings is in my front teeth. Yes, I went through a several-year-long-phase of practically inhaling Coca-Cola, and only after that did we discover I have weaker enamel than most and that I had actually destroyed my teeth. You only get decay in your front teeth if there's a serious sugar problem... whoops; I apparently had a serious sugar problem... anyway, what we basically think's happened is the filling in my front tooth has crumbled a bit, bacteria's got into the tooth via a hole in the filling, the bacteria then moved upwards into my gum and WABAM an abscess was born, wreaking havoc for me.

This is day 3 of antibiotics though, and antibiotics are good THEY BE HELPING. As are the frozen peas. I've also made it so basically an entire bag of frozen peas Mum bought for cooking can't really be used for cooking anymore, whoopsadaisy....

Also, Sam and Curtis are coming round later (Ice Age film marathon day. Yes we're 16 and still watch kiddy films, what's your point) and my room still looks like a tornado's been through it. This is a potential problem but I HATE TIDYING MY ROOM....

No comments:

Post a Comment